Today, granite is an extensively used material in the construction and arrangement of housing. Used in bathroom, kitchen, floors or countertops, granite has a modern look and is an elegant item in any home. But, if it has lost its brilliance, it is necessary to apply some polishing techniques that will help it to regain its luster.
Granite is available in a wide variety of colors, shapes and sizes. It is an element of visual effect for your home, but over time, it loses its shine and thus luxurious appearance. Friction, heavy traffic, heat or steam, are the main factors that put their stamp on the material, which in turn loses its color and becomes dull. Fortunately, there are several polishing techniques that will help you to restore the shine of granite.
Cleaning & Polishing
To clean granite, you need a mild detergent, sponge or clean cloth, adhesive sealant for granite, a spray bottle and isopropyl alcohol.
Steps to Take:
– Free the granite surface of all objects that are stored on it. In this way, you can also ensure that the entire surface is well cleaned.
– Using a sponge, wipe the granite surface with mild dish detergent. Insist especially on areas with grease stains.
– After wiping with detergent, rinse gently with clean water and let the surface dry completely.
– Then spray the seal adhesive and wipe thoroughly with a clean cloth.
– It is better to apply on small portions that you have to rub thoroughly until the granite regains shine. In some cases, you need to leave the seal adhesive to act for 15 minutes.
– After applying the seal adhesive, wipe the granite surface with a solution of isopropyl alcohol and soapy water. Allow several minutes, then wipe with a clean dry cloth.
Granite Edge Polishing
To polish the edges of granite, you need a piece of sandpaper, clean cloths, granite adhesive, and a polishing spray with alcohol.
Steps to Take:
– Using a sandpaper sheet rub the granite edges until they are well smoothed.
– Then wipe the edges with a clean cloth.
– Apply the adhesive, let it work for a few minutes, and then wipe well, until the granite edges regain their shine.
– Finally, wipe the granite edges with a polishing solution.
Granite Polishing Tips
1| When polishing granite it is advisable to wear protection gloves, especially when using chemicals.
2| To polish the granite surface, you can replace the water and isopropyl alcohol solution with a solution of water and baking soda. In a bowl, mix 600 ml of hot water with 50 grams of sodium bicarbonate. Apply the solution on the granite surfaces and using a sponge, remove the stains.
3| Polish the granite with commercial products at least once a month. It is also advisable to use the solution adhesive for granite, at least twice a year. In this way, your granite surfaces will maintain their brilliance.
4| Never buy polish containing acidic ingredients such as lemon or vinegar, because they stain the granite surfaces.